Friday, July 20, 2007

Boy! What a hill training

Yesterday i joined an evening group to run with. This morning 5 am alarm was a beast as i slept at 2 am. Anyhow, Veena (the group mentor) was kind enough to have me join her group of 8. It was 6:30 pm and the sun was settling westerly for the evening rest. We started an uphill climb. It was significantly steeper than Rancho trails or my treadmill with a 1 % incline. The trail is off of Alameda de las Pulgas and Ralston at mid peninsula.

This trail kept going upwards at what seemed like at least 30 to 35% gradient. We kept putting one foot in front of the other. This group - it seems was training hard. They were in pace and did not break a sweat till 1 mile - impressive. We must have run what felt like 4 miles with two water breaks. Then we started strength training. Boy! was i in for trouble. I had bragged about my clean push ups. DID i get a chance to demonstrate or what :)

We did three sets of 10 push ups. I could keep up with seven. But i must say i did hold my own with a modest improvement. The lunges and squats were even harder. I had not tried a few stretches and weight bearing that Veena was conducting. So i learnt a lot of new things. Thanks Veena. You make an awsome mentor and i am envious of your group ;)

No comments: