Thursday, July 12, 2007

Is it time to withdraw?

Today was the worst interaction ever with one of my mentors. After a good 8 mile run, one would think i would be energized, optimistic and happy. Guess what, it has taken me almost half a day to shake off the experience. Today, my stomach was in knots and i threw up!

Inspite of being on time, i did not see anybody on the trail. When i went upto mile 1 i saw her stretching and strengthening. I informed her of my trying to reach her. In an entirely uncooperative spirit she informed me that she does not plan on carrying cell phone to trials and that she cannot be reached once the run begins. I have had 4 encounters with the mentor and this was an all time low. Not just for Asha, but for my experince with mentors. Having been on the boards at Toastmasters, NAWBO, RAPS, PDA, i have had - one would think- plenty of experince of all kind. This certainly takes the prize.

After stretching as well, in a somewhat chastizing toan, i was asked to catch up. Knowing this personality i certainly expect no "mentoring" - i don't think she even cares enough to fake that she cares - but i did not expect to have a discouraging experience. It is now affecting my experience with running in general and more alarmingly, how i run my company.

What i am learning is that a Mentor does not necessarily need to have expertize of what needs to be taught but rather a genuine - ernest and heartfelt (why do i need so many descriptive words?) desire to see someone else succeed.

I am giving it one more try - working with the coordination team. May be it is time to quit thereafter.

Keep checking.....

No comments: