Monday, July 30, 2007

The Finish Line

It was 4 am and dark. I went upto the Embarcaderro via 280 fwy. That time of the morning the road is silent, not a single car. I don't know whether the darkness was particular think because of the fog or whether the first rays of dawn had yet to fall upon this city. Parking was a zoo. I met my group at 5:45 after a quick half a mile warm up run.

Started at the Embarcaderro, with a quick and easy pace. The crown was energized happy. Alongside me was a gentleman running with his bionic leg. A new one. We kept pace until the Peers were over and then he took off....

I saw Sameer and the gang at the end of the Peers around the shops and restaurants before we entered Fort Mason Area. I ran with them a bit. Fort Mason itself was simply spactacular. By then it must be 6:45 am or so. The clouds were still thick but it was not pitch dark. One could see the ocean. There were quite a few runners. I saw a bib number that was in the 23000s series. From Fort Mason we entered the Presidio, the Crissy Fields part of the park. Now, the work began. The uphill gradient was pretty steep. I knew but had not trained on such a steep incline. So, i slowed my pace a bit, took shorters strides so as not to injure myself. I am happy that i did so, because half way towards the top of the hill, people were on the side, stretch and assessing their injuries. Top half, i power waked most of the way.

Now comes the bend and we are about to enter the Golden Gate Bridge..... my dream come true! Finally i enter the bridge. There is no clear view of the ocean. parly because of the fog and the railings that embank the bridge and partly because the fog is particularly thick. I could not see past the first famouse red ARC. Then i decided to enjoy this, this is what i trained. To make it up this hill and into the bridge. I had gone to much trouble and length to re-arrange so that i run the first half. I soaked it all in. I saw the back of a womans T-shirt which read "Back in February, this seemed like a good idea". Now i am on the Sausalito side of the bridge, a quick stop at the Cytomax stop just outside the bridge and back to the bridge again.

The return i don't have a clear memory, it seems i was transported. I was happy, did not feel tired yet, was at an even pace. Then we entered the Presidio again, to go down towards the Golden Gate Park. The view from here was spectacular. By now, the fog was not as thick. On my left were the hills and on my right was the ocean and on the far side the white houses at the edge of the ocean. This was simply heavenly. I took a deep breath for gratitude. That i have my health that today is a good day and that so many fellow runners are doing such a marvelous job of staying hte course. When we came out of the Presidio and down the streets, they were full of people cheering us along. They had their windows open and stereos playing musuc. The motorcycle cops to had a coffee and a smile.....

Before i knew it i was on Fulton Street, and that meant i am at the edgeo of the Golden Gate Park and so so very close to the finish. I saw my sister for a split second, she cheered me on and then was off to speak with her friend. I think it was wonderful to see familiar faces. I could hear the announcements, so i knew i was close. I could not help but pick up a spring. I don't know where the enregy comes from, but i sped up a bit and decided to keep it that way. I was under the finish line and someone was shouting to get my tracking chip. My foot could hardly keep still so taht the gentleman could clip off the chip from my shoe lace. I started walking a little and stetching. I did not feel a think. Then when i sat for a bit and tried to stand up, i noticed how soar my muscles were... But i had a smile on my face. I met Veena, Chikita, Raman, Coach Char. It was great. We celebrated our respective successes. IT was great.

WOW, after huffing and puffing and thinking that 5 miles was a huge deal, i cannot believe i am sitting hear, a day later, writing about having run for 14 miles. So my time came it at 2:45:07 and i suppose i achieved my goal of finishing under 3 hrs. I may have done better without a hill or a better hill training. I do hope that i continue to train and keep up with this fitness bug that i have... Its fun, and you meet a lot of positive people. People whose life is full, happy and full of optimism and i like that very much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Ruchi

That is awsome.

Amrita